Click Picture for a Printable Version of These Instructions
Here are a few simple ways to get the most from your Unlocking The Body Signature Soy Candle experience:
- Before the first light, make sure you have 3-4 hours available for the candle to burn while attended to. We know it is exciting to want to light your candle right away, but this is the most important step! We suggest you choose an evening that doesn’t require interruption or on a weekend while watching tv or reading a book. It is supposed to be a relaxing experience anyway!
- Unscrew the metal ring and remove the lid plate with the name sticker. Keep by your candle, you will be asked what scent it is often 😉 and it’ll help you remember what to purchase next time. Replace the metal ring before lighting. This helps create an even burn pattern.
- Place your candle on a flat, flame retardant surface, away from drafts, children, pets, curtains, furniture, etc. Use common sense and never leave a burning candle unattended.
- How to correctly light a candle: Light your candle with a long fireplace match or grill lighter. This is recommended, as short matches will likely burn your fingers and the jar, creating a black film on the jar. This does not affect the function of your candle, but can be unsightly. After use, wipe the jar clean with a paper towel so that it is ready to glow for the next use.
- Now this is the best part…Did you know that soy has memory? It’s really smart! Here’s why: When lighting your candle for the first time, and each time thereafter, allow the wax to melt all the way out to the diameter of its container. Once the melted wax reaches the glass, allow it to melt until 1/4” deep. This is called a melt pool. This is also where all of that fragrant aroma is released. If you cannot smell the aroma, it means that the jar is too small for the area. Consider placing a couple candles in one room to increase its aromatic benefit.
- Keep your wick tidy: Occasionally, mushrooming may occur. This is okay and simply means that there is a build up of carbon or a draft. This usually occurs when the candle is richly scented or contains vanillin. After the candle is extinguished, allow the wick to harden and carefully trim the mushrooming, but try not to trim the wick portion. Do not allow wick trimming to fall into wax, as this can create a fire hazard. It’s just not good candle care! If you trim too far your candle may tunnel upon re-burning be careful. If this happens just scoop out ¼” of candle wax and re-burn, you have saved it and can continue to enjoy.
- Your soy candle is dye free. This does not mean that soy remains white. Depending upon the fragrance, soy can take on different hues of white, cream and sometimes yellow. Rest assured that this is due to the fragrance used and typically occurs with scents high in vanillin.
- Keep your candle protected from light. We do not use additives or chemical stabilizers, which means that if exposed to long periods of UV light or fluorescent lighting your candle may turn yellow. None of which affects the performance of our product.
- Discard your candle once the remaining wax reaches A HALF INCH (1/2”) deep. If you notice the wick has become freed from the bottom where it is anchored and travels away from the center do not continue to burn. This can heat the glass jar in a pin point area from the wick not being in the proper place and cause the glass to crack from concentrated heat.
- Soy is a living organism. It continues to expand, contract and change from its current form. It may also look frosted. These ‘flaws’ are normal and it is a clear indication that you have purchased a 100% all natural soy candle. Hey, we can’t all be perfect!
Now that you have read the basics, you are a clean-burning, well-educated soy candle pro! Let’s review:
Soy has a memory. Put the metal ring back on. If your candle is extinguished prior to allowing a full melt pool, all future melt pools will not go past the first one. Keep the wick tidy and trim any mushrooming. Never leave a burning candle unattended or within reach of flammable objects, children or pets. Do not burn more than 4 hours. Discard when 1/2” wax remains.